Training For India
How do we get ready for India?
How do we train?
By Amtrak. From Portland to Vancouver, BC.
What makes the Cascades line such effective preparation for India? It is an exercise in patience.
We expected one rail leg:
- Depart Portland at 2:40 PM, and arrive in Vancouver at 10:50 PM.
What did we get? Four legs:
- Portland, Oregon to Kelso, Washington by bus.
- Kelso, Washington to Seattle, Washington by rail.
- Seattle, Washington to Everett, Washington by bus.
- Everett, Washington to Vancouver, British Columbia by rail.
- Depart Portland at 2:45 PM, and arrive in Vancouver at 1:15 AM.
It is also an exercise in appreciating the unexpected:
- The pleasure of holding hands across a bus isle.
- Unexpected almonds and cheese crackers given out by gracious Amtrak employees.
- A middle-aged, flour-spattered woman in a Kelso convenience store who happily sold me her last nine postage stamps.
- The icing-white, highly sculpted interior of the Seattle Amtrak station.
- A neon sign in the shape of a martini, casting a welcome glow though the rain near the Seattle waterfront.
- The sublime quiet of welded rail in the stretch of track between Everett and the Canadian boarder.
- The wondrous turban and flowing beard of our Sikh cab driver.
Still drinking the water,
So happy to see you two are back on the trail! I look forward to ‘traveling’ with you through the blog! ✈️
I bet my postcard was one of the 9 stamps! Thanks to the flour-spattered woman…and you.
I wouldn’t be surprised if one of her stamps _was_ on your postcard.
A few lucky devils had theirs mailed from Canada, many less lucky (Shall we call them imps?) only had theirs mailed from Oregon.